Members of the Woodford Green Working Men’s Club formed an athletics section known as Woodford Green AC in 1908. They moved to Ashton Playing Fields in 1948.
Essex Ladies AC was originally known as Eastern Ladies AC from 1921. In 1922, they became Manor Park Ladies AC, before a name change to Essex Ladies in 1934. Woodford Green AC merged with Essex Ladies AC in 1998.
This club has helped to produce athletes such as Daniel Rowden, Sally Gunnell, Dalton Grant, Ashia Hansen, Dan Awde, Gladys Bird, Jean Pickering, Derek Johnson, Alf Pope, Bert Cooper, Dorothy Manley and British discus great, Gerry Carr.
Here’s a small selection of artefacts and memorabilia that have been collected and preserved by the club over the past 100 plus years.
Between 21 May 1958 and 17 July 1965, Gerry Carr set five British discus records, increasing the mark by nearly two-and-a-half metres.
Dorothy Manley from Essex Ladies won a silver medal, coming second to ‘The Flying Housewife’ Fanny Blankers-Koen in the 100 metres final at the 1948 Olympic Games in London.
The images on this page are displayed with the kind permission of Woodford Green Athletics Club and may not be copied, shared or reproduced in any way, except with the express permission of the Club.